Retrospect for Mac 10.x Whats New
This document contains important information about Retrospect 10.1 for Mac. Please read it carefully.
The Retrospect website is regularly updated with the most recent support information for Retrospect and related products, including the following:
- New in Retrospect 10.1 for Mac
- New in Retrospect 10 for Mac
- Tips and late-breaking information
- Known issues with this release
New features in Retrospect 10.1 for Mac
– это система резервного копирования и восстановления ОС Mac, предназначенная для информационной инфраструктуры медицинских учреждений, юридических и финансовых компаний, автосервисов, ресторанов, департаментов в крупных корпорациях, университетов, государственных структур и др. Функции Retrospect for Mac включают в себя функции создания резервных копий для локальных и настольных систем, восстановления до нужного состояния и любой точки во времени, дедупликации на уровне файлов, интеграции с VMware, удаленного управление (через устройства на платформе iOS) резервированием множества серверов и восстановления системы по запросу конечных пользователей. Поставка Retrospect for Mac включает в себя подписку на сервис техподдержки клиентов – организациям не нужно выделять сотрудников для управления данным решением.
- Multi Server – позволяет защищать любое число сетевых серверов, настольных ПК и ноутбуков с ОС Windows, Mac и Linux с единого хост-компьютера, где установлено ПО Retrospect. Реализована поддержка аппаратных дисковых и ленточных хранилищ.
- Single Server – позволяет защищать один сервер и любое число сетевых настольных ПК и ноутбуков с ОС Windows, Mac и Linux с единого хост-компьютера, где установлено ПО Retrospect. Организации могут приобретать дополнительные клиентские лицензии в целях защиты большего числа сетевых серверов Windows, Mac или Linux. Реализована поддержка аппаратных дисковых и ленточных хранилищ.
- Single Server 20 Clients – позволяет защищать один сервер и до двадцати сетевых настольных ПК и ноутбуков с ОС Windows, Mac и Linux с единого хост-компьютера, где установлено ПО Retrospect. Организации могут приобретать дополнительные клиентские и серверные лицензии в целях защиты большего числа систем. Реализована поддержка аппаратных дисковых и ленточных хранилищ.
- Desktop 5-Client – позволяет защищать один не серверный настольный ПК Windows и до пяти дополнительных ПК и ноутбуков с ОС Windows, Mac и Linux.
- NEW! Instant Scan Speeds Backups
Retrospect Clients already know what files have been added or changed before the backup server even connects, cutting average nightly backup times in half. The same technology is also used on the backup server
- NEW! Support for Mountain Lion
Retrospect supports Mac OS X “Mountain Lion” and takes full advantage of 64-bit Intel processors for the best performance on the latest hardware
- NEW! Apple Developer ID-signed
Retrospect’s installers and applications are digitally signed with an Apple Developer ID, providing integration with Mountain Lion’s new Gatekeeper security feature
- NEW! Notification Center Messages
Using Mountain Lion’s new Notification Center, users can be notified when a backup of their computer begins and when it’s finished
- IMPROVED! Back Up and Restore On Demand
New Retrospect Client software allows each user to quickly backup important files or folders and even run their own restores right from the Desktop. Now supports Windows clients
- IMPROVED! Automatic Disk Grooming
Tell Retrospect how many backups to keep, and it will automatically remove older backups when it needs more space on disk-based storage. This technology allows Retrospect to perform faster, smaller Smart Incremental backups forever
- IMPROVED! Network Link Encryption
Retrospect will optionally encrypt communications between network clients and the backup server using strong AES-256 encryption to prevent network snooping of private information. Now supports strong encryption for Windows clients
- IMPROVED! Administrator Feature Control
The backup administrator can control access to end-user features like marking private files, running an on-demand restore, or stopping a backup that’s in progress. Now supports Windows clients
- Contemporary Mac User Interface
Retrospect is laid out similarly to iTunes, making it immediately familiar and easy to navigate
- Backup, Restore, and Copy Assistants
Retrospect’s assistants make it easy to perform the most common manual and scheduled operations
- Smart Incremental Backups
There’s no need to tell Retrospect to do a full backup; it intelligently backs up only the unique files that it doesn’t already have
- Proactive Backup
Need to protect laptops that come and go from the network? Retrospect’s Proactive Backup feature watches for computers and automatically backs them up when they connect to the network
- Protects Everything
Retrospect runs as a root user process on the Mac, so it can easily back up all files on servers, desktops, and notebooks
- Runs in Virtual Environments
Retrospect Client software can be used to natively back up Mac, Windows, or Linux machines running in virtualization under VMware Fusion or Parallels
- Automatic File-level Deduplication
Retrospect maximizes storage usage by only copying unique files—even across multiple computers—to the backup media
- Roll-back Restores (Live Restores)
Retrospect is able to easily roll back a functioning computer to a previous state. Simply restore over the volume that includes the running operating system and reboot
- Auto-Locates Network Clients
When used with a public/private key, Retrospect will automatically connect to new client computers on the network and even back them up without manual intervention
- Control and Monitor Retrospect from iOS
Use the free Retrospect iOS app on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to keep tabs on backups over Wi-Fi or 3/4G
- Growl Notifications for Network Backup
Retrospect employs Growl notification on pre-Mountain Lion Macs protected by the Retrospect Client software to notify users when a backup has completed
- Private File and Folder Options
Users can easily drag and drop files, folders, and even entire volumes like flash drives, to mark them private, so they won’t be copied during a backup
- Automatic Software Updates
Retrospect will periodically check for software and device driver updates and notify the user when updates are available for download
- Automatic Device Configuration
Retrospect recognizes supported devices automatically and makes them available for immediate use without the need for manual setup
- Easy Physical Media Rotation
Instead of needing to rely on complex media rotation schemes, such as Grandfather-Father-Son, Retrospect allows the user to rotate physical media as they see fit, and it automatically copies the files needed to keep each Media Set complete
- Wake-on-LAN for Green Backups
To reduce the overall power demands for backups, Retrospect awakens sleeping/stand-by mode computers to back them up and then allows them to return to their low-power state
- Performs Multiple Tasks Simultaneously
Need to run a restore without interrupting on-going backups? Need to back up multiple laptops at the same time? Retrospect server editions perform up to 16 simultaneous operations
- Flexible Backup to Local and Network Disk
Retrospect can make use of multiple hard disk destinations, whether grouped together or used independently; connected directly via USB, FireWire, or eSATA; or when networked using Ethernet, iSCSI, or Fibre Channel
- Support for Cloud Storage
WebDAV support allows Retrospect to back up from or to offsite cloud storage. Powerful filtering rules can be employed to allow complete local backups, while ensuring only critical data needs to be copied to the cloud
- Disk-to-Disk-to-Disk (D2D2D) Backups
Retrospect can transfer specific or all backups between Backup Set destinations, making it trivial to back up nightly to network-attached storage and then transfer just the most recent nightly backups to a portable hard disk for safe, offsite storage
- Disk-to-Disk-to-Tape (D2D2T) Backups
Retrospect can stage backups to disk before transferring them to tape, ensuring that the fastest possible throughput is achieved at each stage. Disk-based backups can also be copied to tape for safe, offsite storage or archiving
- Backs Up Mac, Windows, and Linux
Heterogeneous networks are protected using Retrospect’s native client software, ensuring perfect backups regardless of operating system
- Remote Management of Multiple Backup Servers
Log in multiple Retrospect servers and control them from a single screen, easing management for larger installations
- Powerful Search Capabilities
Retrospect can locate files not only by name and location, but also by a multitude of other criteria, including modification date, Finder label, size, and even security permissions
- Flexible Scheduling
Backup, copy, archive, and restore operations in Retrospect can be scheduled to meet any agenda
- Creates Bootable Copies
The copy feature in Retrospect can make a bootable clone of any volume, and it can keep the clone updated with its Smart Incremental technology, which takes far less time than a new copy
- Advanced Tape Support (add-on)
This add-on allows Retrospect to stream backups to multiple tape drives at the same time, whether installed in a single library or standalone
- Complete Windows Backups and Restores
Retrospect for Mac employs native Windows backup client software for complete backups that include system state and even open files on desktops and laptops
- Powerful Filtering
To include or skip specific files, folders, and volumes, or to back up only specific data to cloud storage, Retrospect includes both built-in and user-definable selectors that filter data based on a multitude of conditions, including file names, dates, and types
- Uses Disk, Removable, Cloud, and Tape
Retrospect supports most types of magnetic media for backup, including hard disk drives, network-attached disk, WebDAV-accessible cloud storage, flash media, and every major tape format
- Custom Reporting
Retrospect uses condition-based reporting, like the Find command in Mac OS X, to provide details on activities, sources, performance, media capacity, and much more. Built-in reports are easily duplicated and modified
- Space-saving Data Compression
Built-in data compression routines and support for hardware-based compression present in tape drives comes into use after Retrospect performs its file-based deduplication, further reducing backup storage requirements
- Support for Multiple Network Interfaces
Retrospect can take advantage of multiple network interface cards to improve performance and to prevent traffic from crossing subnets
- Precise Restores Every Time
Because it saves a complete point-in-time file listing of every backup, Retrospect always restores exactly the files that belong on a volume; no unwanted files get restored and later require clean-up
- Industry-leading Data Verification
When verifying data copied during the backup process, Retrospect actually employs the restore routines in the software to do a byte-by-byte comparison against the original, verifying not just the data but the entire restore process. Verifying the restore process and data together provides the most reliable method of verification available anywhere
- Anytime Verification
For tight backup windows where backups must be as fast as possible, Retrospect can verify the backup data at a later time by using a checkpoint method that does not burden the disk containing the original data
- Backup Media Encryption
Retrospect provides multiple encryption options for safeguarding backup data against unwanted access, including government standard AES-256 encryption
- Secure Client Access
Retrospect Client software is either password protected or deployed using a public/private key method for added security. The proper credentials must be presented to log in and back up the client machine
- S.M.A.R.T. Alert Aware
The Retrospect Client software communicates to the backup server when a hard disk drive begins to fail so it can be backed up immediately
- Email Notification
Retrospect will notify administrators of media requests, operational errors, and successfully completed operations
- WORM Tape Compliance Support
Retrospect fully supports write-once, read-many tape media for strict compliance with various regulations, including Sarbanes-Oxley
- Scheduled Tape Drive Cleaning
Retrospect helps maintain drives in tape autoloaders and libraries by periodically loading a cleaning tape cartridge. Cleaning reminders are provided for standalone tape drives
Next, you’ll want to go into your sets and configure a grooming policy. To do so, click on Media Sets and then click on the set you’d like to setup a grooming policy for and then click on the Options set tab. Here, you’ll see a little option there for No grooming (the default) or the number of backups to keep.
Надежность и безопасность
- предназначается для небольших и средних организаций, которые могут обеспечивать защиту своих данных без существенных затрат.Retrospect
- Двойная проверка успешного резервирования и восстановления данных.
- Шифрование, гарантирующее защиту резервируемых и передаваемых данных.
- Защита и возможность восстановления открытых файлов, запущенных баз данных и работающих приложений до тех моментов во времени, которые были зарезервированы.
- Insert the installation CD that came with the hard drive into your computers CD-ROM drive. This should automatically mount the CD-ROM link to the desktop. Open the main menu screen by clicking on the CD-ROM link.
- Click on the Install Retrospect Express icon.
- Click on the Continue button.
- Click on the Agree button.
- Click on the dropdown box in the top left corner and select Uninstall from the options. Click on the Uninstall button to uninstall Retrospect.
- If you plan on reinstalling Retrospect and would like to keep your existing preferences and backup script information, click on Cancel. If you do not plan on reinstalling Retrospect again, click on OK.
- You can now click Cancel to finish the uninstallation of Retrospect and close out of the uninstallation program.
In case the answer did not answer your question, you can always visit the WD Community for help from WD users.
Please rate the helpfulness of this answer
Mac OS X 10.5
At that point, a few of the people who’d been working on Retrospect approached Rovi management to ask if it intended was to sell off the product; if so, the employees said, they’d be interested in taking it over. Rovi liked the idea of keeping the product with people who cared about it, and Retrospect, Inc. was born.
A new chance
Most of what makes Retrospect compelling is essentially invisible. It’s incredibly efficient at optimizing data storage; if ten computers on the network all have a copy of the same file, Retrospect just backs it up once. When restoring a folder to previous point in time, the program compares the current state of that folder to the backup and just restores the files that differ. Even choosing what to back up when is well thought out. The Proactive Backup feature scans the network for laptop clients that come and go from the network. When a laptop that’s overdue for a backup appears on the network, Retrospect will push it to the front of the queue. It's just too bad that, like the stereotypical nerd, Retrospect often obscures its impressive smarts with flawed interpersonal skills.
Macworld’s buying advice
Retrospect is built for protecting your data, on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Every edition includes our extensive feature set. Use the chart below to find out which edition is right for your environment.